4 Tips To Consider When Choosing the Perfect Dress for a Formal Event
Image by StoryBlocks
Whether you’re attending a formal wedding, a ball, prom or a fundraising event, then you can understand just how much of a challenge finding the right and perfect dress is! Formal events dictate that you be dressed in a fancy gown; something that you wouldn’t wear on normal day to day activities, like feeding chicken and milking cows.
Luckily for you, here is a great guide to ensure that you pick the best attires for any formal event, without being overwhelming or worse, underdressed.
1. Consider your body type – The most common body types are apple, pear, petite, busty, and hourglass.
• Apple body type tends to be thicker in the middle, with a slim and an undefined waist. The best dresses for this body type are empire-waist styled ones, or the ones with embellishments or ruffles at the bust area to flow over your middle area for a flattering look. This is to draw attention to your upper body.
• Busty body type is just that! Your bust is relatively bigger than your hips and the waist is not very clearly defined. Look for a dress that accentuates your facial features and creates an illusion of broader hips, to achieve a well-balanced appearance. Also, show off your legs, but not in a very short dress, as that draws more attention to your upper area.
• For pear body types, a strapless and tight-at-the-top dress that flares or widens at the bottom is great because it draws emphasis to the curves at the upper area, while minimizing the hips and the thighs.
• Hour- glass body type tends to have a small waist and a curvy upper and lower body. Show off those curves by wearing a dress with an adjustable belt around the waist to highlight it. Wrap dresses are also great for this body type.
• Petite or athletic frames look good in tight fitting or draping dress with a cinched waist to flatter and enhance your curves. This style gives your body a feminine shape. Show some leg with a short dress or a long fit with a V-neck, and a slit.
2. Consider your location – If the event is outdoors, ensure that you pair up your dress with a warm cute jacket or a shawl. As for the shoe, opt for one with a flat sole, a chunky heel or a wedge, to avoid pricking and leaving holes all over the lawn. If the event is indoors, a strapless and revealing dress is a great option. A heel is appropriate too, but consider keeping it comfortable as you don’t want to end up sore.
3. Respect the nature of the rest of the invitees, and keep things in balance – Are the people invited conservative or easy going? What are the various age groups of the rest of the guests? These are quick questions you should consider before settling for a particular dress; as you don’t want to appear outrageous or too “old school”. A great and timeless point to ensure you get away with anything is, “keep it elegant and classy“. Balance the overall look. For instance, if you opt for a bold piece of jewellery, pair it up with a cool and relatively basic dress.
4. Whatever you decide, make sure to stand out – In the spirit of warranting that you’re the best dressed in any event, especially prom, head on over to Peaches Boutique, for the best designer dresses; they come in all colours, flares and most importantly, suit all body types. If, like me you love a white gown, but avoid sporting one due to the fact that most in the market resemble wedding gowns, then you can check out the homecoming dresses 2018 styles being offered at Peaches Boutique; they have trendy white dress that won’t make you look like a bride! I highly recommend trying one of those.
Deciding on what to wear for any formal event can be overwhelming. However, considering the tips above can go a long way in ensuring that you look your best at any formal event. Most importantly, the feeling you get when wearing a particular dress is key in determining a great fit. Have a fun ball!